Disability and Insurance

Disability (Short & Long Term):  Sherwin-Williams provides disability coverage to guard you and your family against a sudden loss of income.  If you are a regular full-time employee, Sherwin-Williams provides short-term disability benefits after one year of service that continue to pay you a percentage of your salary during your recovery from a serious illness or injury.  This insurance is fully paid for by Sherwin-Williams at no cost to employees. 

Sherwin-Williams also provides basic long-term disability coverage at no cost to employees which pays you 50% of your salary after you have been disabled for 6 months.  Regular full-time employees can purchase supplemental long-term disability insurance that pays you an additional 10%, for a total of 60% of your monthly earnings.  The cost of this supplemental coverage is based on your annual earnings.

Insurance:  As a regular full-time employee, you’re covered under Sherwin-Williams Basic Employee Life and Basic Employee Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance.  Sherwin-Williams pays the full cost and provides this coverage to employees through Prudential Life Insurance Company of America.  Basic Employee Life and Basic Employee AD&D insurance covers you for an amount equal to two times your annual salary up to a maximum of $100,000. Here is how these benefits work to provide financial protection for you and your family:

  • Basic Employee Life – In the event of your death, your designated beneficiary receives the full amount of your Basic Employee Life insurance coverage. 
  • Basic Employee AD&D – If your death is the result of an accident, your designated beneficiary will receive an additional amount equal to your Basic Employee Life coverage.  If you are dismembered in an accident, you are the beneficiary of all or a portion of the dismemberment benefit, depending on the nature of the dismemberment.
  • Optional Employee Life – Need more insurance?  Effective 8/1/12, regular full-time employees can buy additional coverage from one to seven times your annual salary up to a maximum of $1,500,000 through our Optional Employee Life insurance coverage.  If you elect coverage of $500,000 or more, you will have to provide Evidence of Insurability and get approval from the carrier.  Cost of this coverage is based on your age and the amount of insurance you choose.
  • Optional Dependent Life – You can also purchase insurance to cover your dependents.  Two dollars per month covers all of your dependents combined.  You are the beneficiary for any dependents covered under this plan.
  • Voluntary Employee or Family AD&D – You may also purchase additional coverage to provide financial assistance in the event of accidental loss of life, limbs, eyesight, speech or hearing.  This coverage is available for individual (employee only) or family coverage.  Eligible family members are covered for a percentage of the principal sum you select.  Cost is based upon coverage elected and cannot exceed ten times your annual salary.